The Crooked Man’ Set to Start New Franchise at Millennium
Y’all, The Exorcist III is a masterpiece. It is a complete standalone and has no business being as good as it actually is. Especially considering that it is in the same franchise as the first Exorcist film which is a mountain of a film all on its own. Director, William Peter Blatty moved from writer to director and managed to create a seriously disturbing piece of work that also contains one of the world’s greatest jump scares of all time. We cannot believe how fantastic the film is as a whole. And over time it keeps getting better and better. Scream Factory is putting out a 4K UHD collectors edition of The Exorcist III and it comes with both the theatrical and director cut versions of the film.
I will never understand when someone says they do not like The Exorcist III. It is an extremely great film, that tangles your nerves in a wirey mess before striking with its strongly acted finale thanks to George C. Scott and Brad Dourif. Also, there is a scene that features an old lady crawling on he ceiling that still sends chills down my spine. Oh, and who can forget Fabio as an angel in heaven??
The synopsis for The Exorcist III goes like this:
For more than fifteen years, Police Lieutenant Kinderman (George C. Scott) has been haunted by the death of his friend Father Damien Karras. Now, on the 15th anniversary of the exorcism that claimed the priest’s life, Kinderman’s world is once again shattered when a boy is found decapitated and savagely crucified. It’s just the beginning of a nightmare series of bizarre religious murders.
When a psychopath claiming to be the infamous Gemini Killer admits responsibility for all the murders, Kinderman is confronted with a horrifying truth that he cannot begin to explain … the man does know intimate details that only the true killer could possibly know. There’s only one problem … the Gemini Killer died in the electric chair fifteen years ago!
The special features for The Exorcist III collector’s edition break down like so:
DISC 1: 4K UHD (Theatrical Cut)
DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 5.1
DISC 2: Blu-Ray (Theatrical Cut)
- NEW 2022 4K scan of the original camera negative
- NEW 2023 restoration of the stereo and 5.1 track
- Deleted Scene/Alternate Takes/Bloopers
- Deleted Prologue
- Vintage interviews (featuring behind-the-scenes footage) with writer/director William Peter Blatty, George C. Scott, Jason Miller, Ed Flanders and more…
- Vintage Featurette
- Theatrical Trailers
- TV Spots
- Radio Spots
- Photo Galleries
DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0, 5.1
DISC 3: Blu-Ray (Director’s Cut)
- William Peter Blatty’s director’s cut – LEGION, assembled from the interpositive and select scenes from the VHS dallies, approved by William Peter Blatty
- Audio interview with director/writer William Peter Blatty
- Death, Be Not Proud: The Making of THE EXORCIST III – feature-length, five-chapter documentary on the making of the film featuring interviews with actor Brad Dourif, production designer Lesley Dilley, composer Barry De Vorzon, producer Carter DeHaven and more…
DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
The Exorcist III arrives on 4K UHD from Scream Factory beginning March 28. You can head over here to pre-order your copy now.